Thursday, May 23, 2013

Speed of Light

Why is it that this generation is so obsessed with immediacy?  For us to be satisfied, things must either happen quickly or not at all.  Many of these fast-response items are decision-based.  "Quick, this or that!  Hurry!  Aww, too late."

I believe that unrealistic movies and TV shows have created a culture in which we see things happening so quickly on screen, so we believe that those decisions (i.e. which girl to choose, which freeway is faster, etc.) can be made in the blink of an eye.  In all the rush, we forget what the purpose of our asking these questions truly is.  Why did we want that decision to be made?

I was taught by my parents at a very young age that if at first I don't succeed, I must try again until I achieve my goal.  But it seems as if kids are being told that "If at first you don't succeed, throw in the towel."  But why?  Is a slow response so bad that one must quit before a conclusion is reached?  Or is the fear of striking out keeping us from playing the game?

CA out.

1 comment:

  1. " Or is the fear of srtiking out keeping you from playing the game?" Oh goodness! Connor, I got a big conviction reading that. I told Preston today that im scared to speak in public. I get all shakey and nervous. This gave me a little skip in my walk ! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete